deaths

Nearly three times more COVID deaths in Mississippi’s for-profit nursing homes, analysis shows | State Government

Twice as many residents caught COVID-19 at Mississippi’s for-profit nursing homes, and nearly three times more died there, an analysis of health data by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting shows.

The average number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in these for-profit homes? Four in 10 residents.

One possible factor: 80% of Mississippi’s nursing homes had already been cited for infection-control problems before the pandemic hit.

Charlene Harrington, a professor emeritus at the University of California at San Francisco who discovered similar results in a just-released study of nursing homes in California, said the current pandemic is exposing problems that have persisted for decades. “We’ve just looked the other way for 30 years,” she said.

OSHA has been investigating three nursing homes in Mississippi, all of them for-profit, for workplace catastrophes or fatalities, including Lakeside Health & Rehabilitation Center in Quitman. One of the home’s nursing assistants, Carole Faye Doby of Stonewall, died of COVID May 15, and two residents also died of the disease.

A week or more before she contracted the coronavirus, Doby warned her family that “things were getting bad at the nursing home, and that we didn’t need to come around,” recalled her daughter, Shenika Jackson of Clinton.

She said her mother shared that a fellow worker and a resident (who later died) had both come down with the disease.

On May 6, Doby was tested for COVID. Days later, they saw her on Mother’s Day, Jackson said. “We did see her on Sunday, Mother’s Day. We sat outside the porch and ate lunch. She was inside the window.”

By May 11, her mother still didn’t have results and continued to get sicker so she saw a doctor, who had her rushed to the hospital by ambulance, Jackson said.

Because of COVID, she couldn’t visit with her

Continue Reading

County reports new coronavirus deaths at nursing homes for first time in 3 weeks

For the first time in three weeks, San Diego County reported new coronavirus deaths among residents and health care workers at skilled nursing facilities.

As of Wednesday, there have been 173 deaths from COVID-19 among nursing home staff and residents combined, up from 168 reported during the last two weeks. San Diego County reported 1,139 cases of novel coronavirus among nursing home residents and 729 cases among health care workers Wednesday, up from 1,103 and 717 last week.

One new outbreak in skilled nursing homes was reported by the county this week, bringing the total to 84 over the course of the pandemic. There are 20 nursing home outbreaks that are still deemed active, down from the 21 active ones reported last week.

Unlike community outbreaks that are defined as three or more linked cases from separate households, outbreaks in nursing homes only need one case among either residents or health care workers. An outbreak is considered inactive once no one at the facility has tested positive for novel coronavirus for at least two weeks.

According to the California Department of Public health database, 53 of the county’s 86 skilled nursing facilities have been approved to resume indoor visitations.

Only five facilities in the county haven’t recorded a single case among either residents or health care workers, according to the state’s database. They are Amaya Springs Health Care Center in Spring Valley, Arroyo Vista Nursing Center in San Diego, Monte Vista Lodge in Lemon Grove, Somerset Subacute and Care in El Cajon, and Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital in Escondido.

Those looking for COVID-19 statistics or visitation information at a specific skilled nursing facility can view the online version of this story at http://bit.ly/SNFOct7 to search the full dataset.

Nursing home administrators were reminded Monday of their obligation to help residents

Continue Reading

Iowa agency keeps secret the number of COVID-19 staff deaths in nursing homes

Clark Kauffman, Iowa wCapital Dispatch
Published 2:29 p.m. CT Oct. 5, 2020

The Iowa Department of Public Health is refusing to disclose the number of Iowa nursing home workers who have been infected with, or died from, COVID-19.

For months, the department has released only combined staff-and-resident numbers for both infections and deaths in Iowa nursing homes.

The agency has refused requests to separate the number of staff deaths and infections from the number of resident deaths and infections.

The department’s COVID-19 Communications and Emergency Preparedness Planner Alex Carfrae told the Iowa Capital Dispatch Thursday the agency would not provide requested information on staff deaths “due to privacy concerns.”

After being asked to cite the specific law that allows the agency to withhold non-identifying statistical information of that sort, an agency official said the department intends to review its policies and the applicable state laws.

More: Iowa eases visitor limits at nursing homes, where COVID-19 has cut deadly swath

The pandemic’s effect on caregivers is considered particularly important in terms of tracking the spread of the virus in nursing homes. The facilities are home to some of Iowa’s most vulnerable citizens, and yet they often make use of temp-agency workers who are deployed to multiple facilities over the course of a week.

Di Findley, who heads Iowa CareGivers, a nonprofit dedicated to building a strong direct-care workforce, said her organization has been unable to obtain staff-specific data on infections and deaths.

“The nursing home industry may not want the number of positive cases or deaths of nursing home workers to be part of the news because it can make it even more challenging to recruit and retain workers, which was a problem before COVID-19,” she said. “However, knowing how many nursing home workers have become infected, hospitalized, or even died

Continue Reading

Which nursing homes had the most coronavirus deaths? N.J. will no longer tell you. Here’s the list.

Nothing captured the despair of the coronavirus outbreak in New Jersey like the Easter Sunday discovery of a makeshift morgue crammed with 17 bodies at one of the state’s largest nursing homes.

The virus rampaged through Andover Subacute and Rehabilitation Center last spring, killing 82 residents and two employees, one of the highest nursing home death tolls in the state.

Yet, the state Health Department’s “data dashboard,” the webpage that chronicles the pandemic’s ongoing toll in the Garden State, on Thursday listed no deaths at the Sussex County facility and just three COVID-19 cases.

In mid-July, state health officials made a decision to take down the total number of deaths at each nursing home, and instead started reporting only deaths and cases as they occurred during an active outbreak.

The only nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other long-term care facilities now listed on the dashboard are the 155 that were experiencing an outbreak as of Friday. It excludes information from more than 500 other licensed facilities in New Jersey that experienced COVID-related deaths, including the state-run veterans homes where combined almost 200 residents died.

New Jersey has the highest per capita death rate inside its long-term care facilities, according to the most recent data from U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The virus has killed 6,788 and 121 employees, according to state data.

Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli briefly announced the change at a July 10 coronavirus press conference, explaining that posting data on active outbreaks would provide a “clearer, real-time picture” of what is going on.

Knowing which facilities at one time had the highest number of cases and deaths may not give an accurate picture of the facility’s current safety, said Dawn Thomas, a state health department spokeswoman. Testing supplies were in short supply in the early

Continue Reading

Missouri governor orders external review of state’s veteran homes regarding COVID-19 operations after 4 deaths

Missouri Governor Mike Parson has ordered an external review of all seven of the state’s veteran homes and their COVID-19 operations.



Mike Parson wearing a suit and tie


© Provided by KSDK-TV St. Louis


The order comes after four veterans have died in Missouri Veterans Homes.

According to a release from the governor’s office, data that was presented on Thursday in a briefing with Gov. Parson raised concerns about how well Missouri Veterans Homes are uniformly and systematically operating to prevent and, if necessary, contain COVID-19 outbreaks among their staff and residents.

“We are deeply saddened by the news of the deaths in four of our Missouri Veterans Homes,” Governor Parson said. “As a veteran myself, I care a great deal about the quality of care our veterans receive at the Veterans Homes in our state and have raised an alarm bell more than once when I felt we as a state weren’t meeting the standard of care I believe they are owed.”

Latest on the surge in Missouri COVID-19 cases

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

“We have been fighting COVID-19 for over seven months now, and we have learned a lot about how to fight the virus since March,” Governor Parson continued. “The recent sudden positive case growth among staff and residents in our Veterans Homes, and most importantly, the tragic loss of lives of veterans in our care are, in my opinion, unacceptable.”

Gov. Parson instructed Missouri Veterans Commission Chairman Timothy Noonan to conduct a rapid, independent, external review of all seven Missouri Veterans Homes.

The external review will assess their performance and identify what steps, if any, should be taken to improve their management of COVID-19.

Gov. Parson’s office said he also directed the deployment of the new Abbott BinaxNOW rapid antigen tests to Missouri Veterans Homes to support immediate comprehensive testing of

Continue Reading