Fear

Care homes in England fear new Covid-19 cases as 90% of test results delayed

Nearly nine out of 10 Covid-19 tests taken under the system used by care homes in England were returned after the government’s 48-hour target in September, official figures reveal.



a man and a woman sitting in a room: Photograph: Lindsey Parnaby/AFP via Getty Images


© Provided by The Guardian
Photograph: Lindsey Parnaby/AFP via Getty Images

The performance of the NHS test-and-trace system has sparked warnings from care managers that continued delays will increase the risk of infection among their vulnerable residents.

At the end of the first month in which tests were routinely provided to care home staff and residents, 87% of those carried out at satellite testing centres, predominantly used by care homes, were returned after more than two days. Over half took more than three days to come back.

Related: Health officials fear de-prioritising of Covid testing in care homes in England

Ministers had promised weekly testing in care homes in the summer, but it only began comprehensively in September. The health minister James Bethelltold parliament 48 hours was the target for getting results back.

Care workers are now being tested weekly and residents monthly, but managers are concerned that delays of over a week in some cases in receiving results mean asymptomatic staff could be spreading infection.

Recorded infections in care homes have been falling slightly, according to Public Health England figures, but there are fears that in areas of rising community infection, such as the north of England, once the virus gets into homes there are likely to be increases in cases.

Mark Adams, the chief executive of Community Integrated Care, a national charity that is one of the biggest care providers in Liverpool, said it currently ttook three and a half days on average to get results. Only one in five weekly staff tests were coming back with the government’s 48-hour target.

There have only been a handful of positive

Continue Reading

NYCHA seniors fear for their safety; councilman says he allocated money for improvements years ago

JAMAICA, Queens — A Queens councilman said he allocated hundreds of thousands of dollars to NYCHA to enhance security at a public housing building for seniors, following to years of complaints to his office about unauthorized visitors and seniors living in fear.

But those security improvements are pending.

City Councilmember Daneek Miller was told by the city last week that the new security improvements won’t be done until 2021.

Just outside NYCHA’s Conlon-Lihfe Towers in Jamaica, Queens, seniors said they are afraid to live there.

Connie Green, 79, who lives in the building, said since the pandemic, security concerns have gotten worse.

Miller said he’s been listening to the seniors complain about security for years. Back in 2017, he thought he did something about it. He allocated over $320,000 to replace front doors with new doors that would require a key card entry, and funds to pay for several new security cameras.

“It’s about a hundred thousand dollars for security cameras, then the doors. The total is $320,000. More importantly, it’s four years later and nothing has been done,” said Miller.

The councilman said he is frustrated and wants to know what the hold up is.

He said he wrote a letter to the NYCHA CEO on Aug. 3, 2020. He got a response from NYCHA on Sept. 9 in the form of a letter from Brian Honan, the VP of the Office of Intergovernmental Relations at NYCHA.

A NYCHA spokesperson told PIX11, “NYCHA is committed to providing safe building access for our senior residents and we are working to address the security issues at Conlon-Lihfe. We share the councilmember’s dedication to this project and look forward to engaging with him and other stakeholders as we move forward.”

Miller said until the city replaces the doors and installs new security

Continue Reading

5 Ways to Take the Fear Out of Bathroom Remodeling

Sponsored – It’s a spooky time of year, ripe for playing tricks, watching horror flicks, and telling ghost stories in the dark. One scary story we often encounter is that undergoing a bathroom remodel is a dreadful, anxiety-inducing experience that drags on and on. On the contrary, we believe the bathroom remodeling experience should be fun, quick, and pleasant. Here are five ways Re-Bath can take the fear out of your next bathroom remodel.



A. Michelle Harleston et al. sitting at a table: WOWT


© Provided by Omaha WOWT
WOWT

R.I.P. to Remodeling Without Focus

Loading...

Load Error

At Re-Bath, we don’t spread our remodeling efforts thin across kitchens, decks, windows, etc. We only do bathrooms! All day, every day, we live and breathe bathroom remodeling, and we’re not afraid to say we’re great at it! CHECK OUT OUR GOOGLE REVIEWS. Most of our competitors don’t focus exclusively on bathrooms, and some use shortcuts and workarounds that don’t address the root of the problem. For example, cosmetic overlays might appear to be a cost-effective option, but if you have leaky plumbing or wet drywall behind your tile, covering it up won’t help. That’s why we’re prepared to tear, strip, knock down, and do everything it takes to make your dream bathroom a reality.

Dependable Professionals, Not Scary Sellers

We know how awkward it can be to invite strangers into your home, and we strive to make your entire remodeling experience as relaxed and enjoyable as possible. At Re-Bath, your first point of in-person contact is a Design Consultant, not a salesperson. That’s because our Design Consultants don’t come out to sell to you, but to solve a problem. Reputation is important to us, and we’re proud to be a 100% reliable company with an A+ Better Business Bureau Rating. As a result, we hold all of our employees to high standards,

Continue Reading