split

EMSA, contractor say split will cause no interruption in service | Local News

The public trust that oversees emergency ambulance operations in Tulsa and Oklahoma City and the contractor who provides personnel for it said Friday their split will not affect service in the two cities.

The Emergency Medical Services Authority, the oversight agency, and American Medical Response, which provides paramedics and emergency medical technicians under a contract with EMSA, are at odds over $16 million.

EMSA sued AMR over the money last month; AMR subsequently notified EMSA it plans to terminate their contract no later than Jan. 31 and then countersued.

AMR is asking for the $16 million, which it says EMSA has withheld from payments to the contractor, and for a court decision on whether the contract provision EMSA cites in claiming the $16 million is legal.

Both sides say the dispute and AMR’s decision to terminate the contract should not interfere with emergency medical services. A spokeswoman for the company reiterated on Friday that the company will continue to provide personnel under the terms of the contract until a replacement is found.

EMSA, in a press release late Thursday, said it is authorized to directly hire emergency personnel under such circumstances for up to two years.

Under the current contract, AMR is entitled to its expenses plus 10% of revenue, with anything above that going to EMSA.

Source Article

Continue Reading

Thomas Fire rebuild in Ventura will split lot into five parcels

CLOSE

Six months after the Thomas Fire raged through Ventura County, we take an aerial view of several burn areas near Ventura.

Ventura County Star

On December 26, 2016, the Cairns family moved from their longtime home on Lynnbrook Avenue in Ventura to a nearby home on Foothill Road. The homes were so close that Nancy Cairns could see their old home from their new home. 

The new home was zoned for horses, which was a longtime dream for Cairns. 

“I’d been keeping an eye on the property for a couple of years when it came on the market, and I’d always wanted to bring my horses onto the property,” said Cairns. “I wanted to live my dream, and that was my dream property to be able to have horses and that ranch feel in the town that I love.”

But the home burned down in the Thomas Fire on Dec. 5, 2017, less than a year after they bought it. After evacuating to a friend’s house, Chris and Nancy Cairns watched their home burn down on the news.

Nearly three years after the fire, the family got closer to rebuilding this monthafter the Ventura City Council approved a zone change on Sept. 14 that will allow five single-family homes on their 1.54 acre property. 

The approved plans will divide the lot into four parcels ranging in size from a quarter-acre to roughly one-third of an acre, with a fifth 0.39-acre remainder lot set aside for the Cairns’ new home.

The Thomas Fire burned down over 500 homes in the city of Ventura. But the Cairns project is the only rebuild in the city that includes a subdivision.

The Cairns family’s home in Ventura was destroyed in the Thomas Fire on December 5, 2017. They had bought the home

Continue Reading