thousands

Strong wind storm reportedly kills one, knocks out power for thousands of Puget Sound homes

Strong wind gusts whipped through the Puget Sound area and down the coast Tuesday, snapping branches and taking down utility poles, and reportedly killing one person and wiping out power for thousands of homes.

Wind gusts ranged from 30 to 40 mph throughout most of the region, with peak gusts at 48 mph in Seattle, said meteorologist Matthew Cullen of the National Weather Service Seattle. The wind storm came from a very strong low-pressure system that moved into northern Vancouver Island in British Columbia earlier Tuesday, combined with a front that extended across the region, he said.

Friday Harbor also saw 48 mph winds, while Olympia and Quillayute hit 45 to 46 mph gusts.

“It was pretty consistent up and down the coast,” Cullen said.

The person who died during the windstorm was clearing out a driveway on the Key Peninsula when a tree fell on them, Key Peninsula Fire spokeswoman Anne Nesbit told Q13 News Tuesday. No further information was immediately available.

Puget Sound Energy had responded to more than 77,000 outages by 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, caused primarily by tree branches blown into power lines, the utility service said. Seattle City Light reported more than 14,000 outages in southeast Seattle, northwest Seattle and Shoreline on Tuesday afternoon, though most had been restored by the evening.

State transportation officials also shut down several highways — including Highway 162 near Orting, Highway 121 in Tumwater and Highway 167 near Tacoma — Tuesday to clear away downed power lines and debris, the state Department of Transportation said on Twitter.

Cullen said the gusts were expected to continue to wind down as Tuesday night progressed and stay calmer on Wednesday.

Some showers are expected with a light breeze Wednesday, while Thursday should stay mostly dry with some morning clouds that are expected to

Continue Reading

North Korea’s Kim pledges thousands of new homes in storm recovery effort

By Sangmi Cha

SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised to help typhoon-hit areas recover and to build at least 25,000 houses over the next five years, state media said on Wednesday.

Visiting one of the worst-hit areas of North Korea, Kim expressed regret over the more than 50-year-old houses in which people have been living and urged the military to embark on a more ambitious construction plan, KCNA said.

The visit came after Kim appeared to shed tears at the weekend as he thanked citizens for their sacrifices, in the most striking demonstration yet of how he is relying on his “man-of- the-people” persona to tackle his country’s deepening crises.

The military has reached a construction level of 60% for at least 2,300 houses in the Komdok area in South Hamgyong province, northeast of the capital, Pyongyang, the state media said.

Kim said new houses were now only built when the old ones were brought down by natural disasters, and called for a “revolution” in construction plans, starting with building 25,000 houses during his five-year plan set to be unveiled in January.

Last week, Kim called on his country to embark on an 80-day “speed battle” – to attain economic goals before a congress in January to decide the new five-year plan.

North Korea has had a tough year because of the impact of anti-coronavirus measures, international sanctions and several typhoons that battered towns.

(Reporting by Sangmi Cha; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Source Article

Continue Reading

North Korea’s Kim pledges thousands of new homes in storm recovery effort: state media

By Sangmi Cha

SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised to help typhoon-hit areas recover and to build at least 25,000 houses over the next five years, state media said on Wednesday.

Visiting one of the worst-hit areas of North Korea, Kim expressed regret over the more than 50-year-old houses in which people have been living and urged the military to embark on a more ambitious construction plan, KCNA said.

The visit came after Kim appeared to shed tears at the weekend as he thanked citizens for their sacrifices, in the most striking demonstration yet of how he is relying on his “man-of- the-people” persona to tackle his country’s deepening crises.

The military has reached a construction level of 60% for at least 2,300 houses in the Komdok area in South Hamgyong province, northeast of the capital, Pyongyang, the state media said.

Kim said new houses were now only built when the old ones were brought down by natural disasters, and called for a “revolution” in construction plans, starting with building 25,000 houses during his five-year plan set to be unveiled in January.

Last week, Kim called on his country to embark on an 80-day “speed battle” – to attain economic goals before a congress in January to decide the new five-year plan.

North Korea has had a tough year because of the impact of anti-coronavirus measures, international sanctions and several typhoons that battered towns.

(Reporting by Sangmi Cha; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Source Article

Continue Reading

Carole Baskin gifted properties worth hundreds of thousands to handy man after husband Don Lewis’s disappearance

CAROLE Baskin gifted properties worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to her handyman shortly after husband Don Lewis’s disappearance, The Sun can reveal.

The new twist comes after handyman Kenny Farr’s ex-wife Trish claimed he told her Don was ground up and fed to the alligators.

Carole recently starred in Dancing With The Stars

9

Carole recently starred in Dancing With The Stars Credit: Getty Images – Getty

A cadaver dog also recently picked up the scent of human remains just meters from a lake house that once belonged to Don, raising further questions about the mysterious case, which gained worldwide attention in the docu-series Tiger King.

Investigator Jim Rathman, who conducted a lengthy probe into the case for Tigers, Lies and Cover Ups, an Investigation Discovery documentary, says he uncovered unusual connections between Carole, Don and Kenny including how Kenny brought home all of Don’s gun collection around the time he went missing.

Property records shared with The Sun also show how Kenny was gifted six properties by Carole for under $20k – when they were worth 15 times that sum, according to property records in Florida.

Carole hit back against the claims, telling The Sun the properties were not gifts as she was just trying to help him get started in business and he later signed them back over.

Don Lewis disappeared in 1997

9

Don Lewis disappeared in 1997 Credit: Netflix
Don's case gained attention following the success of documentary Tiger King starring Joe Exotic

9

Don’s case gained attention following the success of documentary Tiger King starring Joe ExoticCredit: ©2020 NETFLIX

“[Kenny’s ex wife] Trish revealed that missing link to me telling me about the property transfers,” Jim told The Sun.

“Baskin gave multiple properties to Kenny, just a month after her husband went missing.

“And these transactions were under $10k value, which you do not have to report to the IRS.

“But they were worth hundreds of thousands.

“I mean I

Continue Reading

New Mesquite community will include thousands of homes

A new community planned for Mesquite will bring almost 4,000 homes.

Loading...

Load Error

Dallas-based developer Huffines Communities is building the more than 1,400-acre Solterra community southwest of East Cartwright Road, two miles east of Interstate 635.

The new residential development is on part of the historic Lucas family farm.

Mesquite’s city council recently approved zoning for the $1.6 billion project, which Huffines Communities says will be the largest development in city history.

New homes in the project will start from $280,000 and range up to the high $400,000s.

“This is one of the biggest projects we’ve done, and we’re thrilled to make this a wonderful place to live and play as the home building market continues to sizzle,” Donald Huffines, co-owner at Huffines Communities, said in a statement. “Mesquite continues to see explosive growth, and Solterra will meet this demand with quality homes reminiscent of the quiet comfort of small-town living complete with community-centered amenities.”

Mesquite has been working for years with developers to plan what is one of the biggest undeveloped areas of the city.

The property is located about 11 miles from downtown Dallas and was once the family home and farm for Faithon P. Lucas, who owned the popular Lucas B&B restaurants in Dallas and sold produce and food products from the farm.

To honor the property’s heritage, Huffines Communities plans to include crops and livestock at Solterra and restore the pecan groves, orchards and pasture areas.

A new 27-acre lake will include a fishing hole with a deck.

Solterra will include a resort-style pool complex and miles of bike and hiking trails. A community amenity center will house a coffee shop, gathering rooms with lounge seating and offices with covered balconies.

There will also be fitness and a restaurant.

The first 650 to 750 Solterra home

Continue Reading