video

Tulsa Resident Captures Contractor Using Homophobic Slurs on Camera [Video]

A resident of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was shocked when he heard a contractor working for the City of Tulsa Water Department use homophobic slurs outside his home on October 2.

Bobby Elder’s security cameras captured the offensive language as the man, who was working on the water main near his home, approached saying, “This is a whole house full of them … a bunch of dope-smoking queers.”

He continues with the offensive remarks as he walks up the steps, saying, “We’re going to shut your water off at 8.30. Get all your group showers done by then.”

Elder told local media outlet KTUL after his partner answered the door they checked the surveillance footage to have a closer listen to what they thought they heard.

“Unfortunately, it was what we heard, and also much more,” Elder told KTUL.

In the same interview, he said he’s lived in the area most of his life and never had a problem.

The Director of Communications for the City of Tulsa, Michelle Brooks, told Storyful the person was not a City of Tulsa employee, but was “an employee of a contractor working on a waterline replacement project for the City’s utility authority.”

In the same statement, the city condemned the offensive remarks, saying, “The behavior displayed by this individual was ignorant and reprehensible and does not reflect the City’s values of diversity, inclusion, and respect for all of the constituents we serve. The City has talked to the contractor and this individual was removed immediately from all City projects.” Credit: Bobby Elder via Storyful

Source Article

Continue Reading

Arizonans in nursing homes and hospitals can vote by video in some circumstances, judge rules

Election officials in Arizona can use videoconferencing to help some voters confined to hospitals, nursing homes or living with severe disabilities cast their ballots, a judge ruled Monday, rejecting calls to declare the new pandemic-era practice illegal.



a group of people standing in front of a sign: People wash their hands by the entrance to Sapphire of Tucson Nursing and Rehab on May 1, 2020.


© David Wallace/The Republic
People wash their hands by the entrance to Sapphire of Tucson Nursing and Rehab on May 1, 2020.

Attorney General Mark Brnovich asked the court to strike down plans adopted by the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office and Arizona Secretary of State’s Office for limited “virtual” voting assistance, arguing that state law does not allow anyone to cast a ballot by video.

Gov. Doug Ducey also opposed the policies, contending that state law requires officials provide such services in person.

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

But in a ruling that reflected how unusual this election year is, Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Randall H. Warner found that videoconferencing may be necessary for some voters with very particular circumstances who would otherwise have to choose between protecting themselves from COVID-19 or forgoing their right to participate in the electoral process.

“Federal law does not allow Arizona to impose on a disabled voter the choice between voting and protecting their health,” he wrote.

The judge warned, however, that his ruling “does not mean the County Recorder is free to use video voting whenever he wants or for any voter who asks.”

Still, Fontes declared victory.

“This is a win for accessibility,” the county recorder said in a statement. “We will continue to provide this option to the most vulnerable population of Maricopa County voters when necessary, ensuring compliance with all applicable law.”

A longstanding practice and COVID-19

The legal battle over the practice began in earnest last week but stems from

Continue Reading

Voting by video allowed in some circumstances, Arizona judge rules

CLOSE

People wash their hands by the entrance to Sapphire of Tucson Nursing and Rehab on May 1, 2020. (Photo: David Wallace/The Republic)

Election officials in Arizona can use videoconferencing to help some voters confined to hospitals, nursing homes or living with severe disabilities cast their ballots, a judge ruled Monday, rejecting calls to declare the new pandemic-era practice illegal.

Attorney General Mark Brnovich asked the court to strike down plans adopted by the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office and Arizona Secretary of State’s Office for limited “virtual” voting assistance, arguing that state law does not allow anyone to cast a ballot by video.

Gov. Doug Ducey also opposed the policies, contending that state law requires officials provide such services in person.

But in a ruling that reflected how unusual this election year is, Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Randall H. Warner found that videoconferencing may be necessary for some voters with very particular circumstances who would otherwise have to choose between protecting themselves from COVID-19 or forgoing their right to participate in the electoral process.

“Federal law does not allow Arizona to impose on a disabled voter the choice between voting and protecting their health,” he wrote.

The judge warned, however, that his ruling “does not mean the County Recorder is free to use video voting whenever he wants or for any voter who asks.”

Still, Fontes declared victory.

“This is a win for accessibility,” the county recorder said in a statement. “We will continue to provide this option to the most vulnerable population of Maricopa County voters when necessary, ensuring compliance with all applicable law.”

A longstanding practice and COVID-19

The legal battle over the practice began in earnest last week but stems from longstanding policies for assisting a small portion of the state’s voters who are physically unable

Continue Reading

Shops and homes devastated by floods in Italy’s Ventimiglia [Video]

SHOTLIST

VENTIMIGLIA, LIGURIA, ITALYOCTOBER 4, 2020SOURCE: AFPTV

1. Wide shot people clearing up in front of a supermarket with damage estimated at 60,000 euros by the owner2. Mid shot muddy road in front of a flooded supermarket3. Pan left inhabitants clearing the ground4. Mid shot person next to a disaster-stricken house

5. SOUNDBITE 1 – Alessio Rizzu, shopkeeper at the Ventimiglia market (male, French, 10 sec): “Look, it’s quite a disaster, I have a lot of goods to throw away and for the whole market it’s the same. It’s a disaster.”

“Regarde, c’est tout un désastre, j’ai plein de marchandises à jeter et pour tout le marché c’est pareil. C’est un désastre.”

6. Cutaway: Close-up floor being cleaned

7. Wide shot shopkeepers cleaning up their shops

8. SOUNDBITE 2 – Davide Voarino, manager of a jewellery shop in Ventimiglia (male, Italian, 18 sec): “We’ve had the river flooded a few times, but something like this I’ve never seen, ever. Only old people can remember something like that, something that happened sixty years ago, but not even like that.”

9. Cutaway: Wide shot from the banks of the Roya River, which overflowed on Friday 2 October 2020

10. Wide shot volunteers cleaning up the city of Ventimiglia

///———————————————————–AFP TEXT STORY:

newseriesFrance, Italy step up rescue efforts after floods By Chloe Fabre with Vincenzo Pinto in Garessio, Italy

=(Picture+Video)=

ATTENTION – ADDS second French death ///Saint-Martin-Vesubie, France, Oct 4, 2020 (AFP) – French and Italian rescue services stepped up search efforts on Sunday after floods cut off several villages in the mountainous border regions, causing widespread damage and killing four people.Eight people remained unaccounted for on the French side of the border after storms, torrential rain and flash floods battered the area, washing away roads and houses, cutting off entire villages and

Continue Reading

Globe gains momentum on data and video experience improvements, well-ahead of aggressive builds

Globe gains momentum on data and video experience improvements, well-ahead of aggressive builds

Globe has been consistently upgrading its network and accelerating infra builds as part of its efforts to provide better data experience and connectivity to its subscribers. Prior to the pandemic in 2019, Globe spent P51 billion in capex to increase its builds, putting up 139% more cell sites compared to 2018.  As a result, 4G base stations of the company increased, putting up 28% more than 2018, doubling the deployment of massive MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) sites, thus considerably adding more data capacity.

For 2020, the company committed to spend Php 50.3 billion in capex, a large portion of which is allotted for its network upgrade initiatives.  This year there is a lot of optimism to do more infrastructure builds with the implementation of the Joint Memorandum Circular (JMC) No. 01 s. 2020 signed by the Department of Information and Communications Technology, Department of Interior and Local Government, Anti-Red Tape Authority and other government agencies and the recent signing of the Bayanihan 2  We Recover As One Act, which aim to shorten the process of issuing permits to build. For the 2-month period from August to September, Globe was able to secure a total of 715 permits, this would enable builds in areas from Bangued in Northern Luzon to Butuan City in the Caraga Administrative Region in Northeastern Mindanao. Despite the pandemic, Globe’s critical skeletal workforce composed of engineers, installers, repairmen and other personnel has continued to work on network improvements and site builds to ensure unhampered connectivity for subscribers.

For 2021, Globe undertakes an even more aggressive network upgrade and expansion by focusing on 4G/LTE for a

Continue Reading