By Frances Mulraney For Dailymail.com
14:44 06 Oct 2020, updated 14:45 06 Oct 2020
- Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen says he is working to secure compassionate release for a whistleblower imprisoned by the White House
- Reality Winner, 28, was sentenced to five years in prison in 2018 for leaking documents detailing the Russian hack on the US election to the media
- The former NSA contractor has been repeatedly denied compassionate release despite a coronavirus outbreak in the prison
- Cohen said he is meeting with a lawyer this week to take a ‘deep dive’ on Winner’s case
- He claimed it was part of making amends for his previous life as Trump’s attorney
- The same year Winner was charged for the Russian leak, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying about Trump’s business dealings in Russia
President Donald Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen says he is working to free a whistleblower imprisoned by the White House for leaking classified documents on Russian efforts to hack the US election.
Former National Security Agency contractor Reality Winner, 28, was sentenced to five years in prison in 2018 for supplying documents detailing the hack on US election infrastructure to a news website.
Cohen, who the same year pleaded guilty to lying about Trump’s business dealings in Russia, told Business Insider he is meeting with an attorney this week to take a ‘deep dive’ into Winner’s case in the hopes of securing her compassionate release.
He added that he felt undertaking Winner’s case was in part to ‘make amends’ for his previous life as the president’s attorney.