approves

Israel Approves First New Settler Homes Since Suspending Annexation, NGO Says | World News

JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Israel approved more than 1,300 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, the Peace Now settlement-monitoring group said, in the first such go-ahead since it suspended annexation plans in the territory.

The decision drew an angry response from Palestinians, who seek to establish a state in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

“We urge the international community to intervene immediately to stop this settlement madness, which destroys any chance for a genuine peace process,” said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The construction could help mute criticism of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from settler leaders, who are traditional allies.

They had bristled at the annexation suspension that helped pave the way for last month’s deals to forge diplomatic ties between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.

Peace Now said a planning committee in Israel’s Civil Administration in the West Bank gave final approval for building 1,357 housing units in several settlements.

A spokesman for the administration could not immediately confirm the numbers.

A statement from Beit El settlement said 350 new housing units would be built there. It hailed the committee’s decision as “a tremendous achievement for Beit El”.

The forum, which last held such a hearing eight months ago, was due to reconvene on Thursday to advance additional construction projects in settlements and give final approval for others.

Peace Now said the committee was set to move forward with projects comprising at least 4,430 new settler homes.

Most countries view settlements Israel has built in territory captured in the 1967 Middle East war as illegal and as an obstacle to peace with the Palestinians. The United States and Israel dispute this.

Israel cites historical and biblical links to the West Bank and around 450,000 of its

Continue Reading

Israel approves first West Bank settler homes since Gulf deals

Israel approved 2,166 new homes in settlements across the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, official figures sent to AFP showed, ending an eight-month lull in settlement expansion. 

The approvals came less than a month after the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain signed agreements to normalise relations with Israel, which in return pledged to freeze its plans to annex swathes of the West Bank.

NGO Peace Now said the settlement uptick signals Israel’s rejection of Palestinian statehood and deals a blow to hopes of a wider Israeli-Arab peace.

It said that around 2,000 more homes are expected to be approved on Thursday.

“Netanyahu is moving ahead at full steam toward solidifying the de facto annexation of the West Bank,” it said in a statement ahead of Wednesday’s decisions.

US President Donald Trump sees the Gulf accords as part of his broader initiative for Middle East peace.

But a controversial plan he unveiled in January gave US blessing to Israeli annexation of large chunks of the West Bank, including the settlements, communities considered illegal under international law. 

Israel agreed to delay those plans under its normalisation deal with the UAE, something Emirati officials have cited in response to Arab and Muslim criticism.

The two Gulf countries were only the third and fourth Arab states to normalise relations with Israel, following Egypt in 1979 and Jordan in 1994, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said he sees others following.

The Palestinians condemned the accords and quit the rotating presidency of the Arab League in protest at its failure to take a stand against them.

The Gulf agreements broke with years of Arab League policy on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict which made its resolution a precondition for normalising ties with Israel.

The latest settlement plans, for a total of more than 4,000 new homes, were

Continue Reading

Mesquite City Council approves expanded road improvements in two neighborhoods

Those living in the Quail Hollow and Town East Estates neighborhoods are the next Mesquite residents to have their streets designated for road repairs.

The Mesquite City Council approved two separate contracts at a Monday night meeting, clearing the way for localized concrete repair on streets, sidewalks, gutters and curbs. The work will begin as soon as next month.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, seen at a meeting March 19, 2020 in Dallas, is seeking re-election to a post he has held since 1985.

The council approved a $1.4 million contract with KIK Underground, LLC for the Quail Hollow project, which is expected to take six months. It also approved a $4.15 million contract with HQS Construction, LLC for the larger Town East Estates project, which is expected to take around a year.

“Quality streets in our neighborhoods is vital to maintaining community pride and curbside appeal of our housing stock,” Mesquite Mayor Bruce Archer said in a statement. “The City Council is committed to repairing as many residential streets as possible, as quickly as we can. Improving streets also improves neighborhood vitality.”

He said the council is aware that there are still several neighborhoods that need repairs and the city is working as fast as it can to get to them.

Road work is already in progress on six miles of road in the area south of South Parkway and east of Peachtree Road. Those projects, and the pair that was recently approved, are part of the city’s ongoing Real Texas Roads bond program, approved by voters in November 2015. That program has resulted in improvements on 33 miles of two-lane residential roads, according to the City of Mesquite.

Source Article

Continue Reading

Egypt- Planning Minister approves additional EGP 100m for Aswan-Al-Alaqi Road improvements

(MENAFN – Daily News Egypt) Egypt’s Minister of Planning and Economic Development Hala El-Said has approved an additional budget of EGP 100m for the Ministry of Transport to start raising the efficiency of the Aswan-Al-Alaqi Road.

The road, which runs for a total length of 150 km, has already been granted EGP 560m in funds for its development.

El-Said made note of the economic importance of the transportation sector, with transport networks of all kinds considered economic lifelines. She also said that these networks link production centres with consumer markets, whilst also ensuring that production sites can obtain the required raw materials and operating requirements.

She pointed out that the transport sector’s output is important for production in many commodity and service sectors, such as the trade, extractive and manufacturing sectors.

The minister said that a country’s productivity highlights the importance of a sound and efficient transportation sector. Improving transportation networks has many positive effects on the performance of other economic sectors and their competitiveness.

El-Said referred to the Egyptian transportation sector’s development vision and its main pillars, as stated in the medium-term plan for sustainable development, which will extend from fiscal year (FY) 18/2019 to FY 21/2022.

‘Egypt’s Vision 2030 aims to provide a transport system that achieves the goals of sustainable development, and is intrinsically linked with the requirements of future national economic and social development,’ the minister said.

El-Said also said that transport sector indicators have become one of the main indicators showing the degree of a country’s economic and social progress.

In Egypt, this sector has special importance due to the country’s distinguished geographical location as a hub for transport routes. Egypt also has close geographical proximity to the main markets in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

El-Said said that the Aswan Governorate has acquired

Continue Reading