collapses

Hard Rock developer sues its contractors on fatal collapse’s 1-year anniversary

The company that owns and developed the ill-fated Hard Rock Hotel sued 19 of its construction contractors and subcontractors and 21 insurance companies seeking damages exactly one year after the 18-story building collapsed, killing three workers.

Hard Rock still stands a year after collapse killed 3

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

The 68-page lawsuit was filed Oct. 12, 2020, exactly a year after the upper floors of the Hard Rock collapsed, killing three workers, injuring dozens and causing a hazard that loomed over the city through an especially active hurricane season. 

The ownership group, 1031 Canal Development, is led by Mohan Kailas, but the company’s spokesmen have stated that the principals of two of the project’s main contractors — Denzell Clark, owner of general contractor Citadel Builders and Todd Trosclair, owner of electrical contractor All-Star Electric — also owned a share of 1031.

But 1031 places the blame for the collapse squarely on Citadel, All-Star, engineer of record Heaslip Engineering, architect Harry Baker Smith and 15 other subcontractors. Because of 1031’s contract with Citadel to build the hotel, it also sued the insurance providers of each contractor and subcontractor.

RELATED: Metal used to hold concrete floors at Hard Rock Hotel different from what city approved, records show

The lawsuit takes particularly pointed aim at Heaslip, which was cited for several key violations by U.S. Occupational and Safety Health Administration investigators.

“Heaslip’s engineering design services were inadequate for the 18-story building, and flaws in the engineering design provided by Heaslip affected the structural integrity of the Building during construction and contributed to the collapse,” 1031 alleges in the lawsuit, filed late Monday in Orleans Parish Civil District Court.

The allegations start with Heaslip allegedly failing to design the proper support beams and columns or calculate the proper loads each floor

Continue Reading

Part of FIFA-funded stadium collapses during renovation in South Sudan- The New Indian Express

By Associated Press

SOUTH SUDAN: Part of a FIFA-funded stadium in South Sudan has collapsed during renovation work.

The world body said on Friday it was in contact with the South Sudan Football Association and seeking further information on a “minor incident” this week at Juba National Stadium in the country’s capital.

“Currently, we understand that there are no casualties or injuries that occurred as a result of the incident,” FIFA said, adding it involved the “setting of concrete.”

The Juba National Stadium is South Sudan’s only international-standard stadium and is being renovated using money from the FIFA Forward Program. FIFA gave $5 million for the renovation.

Work has been halted, although it might restart in weeks, youth and sports minister Dr. Albino Bol said. The renovation began last year and it is already behind schedule.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino pledged to fund the renovation during a visit to the conflict-torn country in 2016 and he was expected to attend its inauguration. The stadium is being converted into a 7,000-seat facility capable of hosting international matches. South Sudan has been playing its home games in neighboring Sudan.

South Sudan is the world’s newest country having gained independence from Sudan in 2011, but it has been blighted by civil war for the last seven years. It joined FIFA in 2012.

Source Article

Continue Reading

Contractor killed on NC State campus construction site after equipment collapses

A construction worker died on N.C. State University’s campus after a lift collapsed in wet ground, the state Department of Labor reported Tuesday.

Loading...

Load Error

The lift carrying the worker on Saturday was extended about 35 feet in the air when the dirt caved in around one of its tires, said Natalie Bouchard, DOL spokeswoman.

DPR Construction identified the subcontractor as Tiburcio Mendoza.

Campus police were called to the scene but are not investigating the incident and do not have a report, university spokesman Mick Kulikowski said. He added he believed the worker died of injuries at WakeMed.

The accident happened at the site of N.C. State’s new Plant Sciences building, a 185,000-square-foot project.

Ro Norman of DPR Construction said the worker was a subcontractor and the team is “deeply saddened.”

“Our focus continues to be the safety of all employees, workers and visitors on our job sites,” Norman said in an email. “The investigation of this incident is ongoing, and DPR is fully committed to working closely with investigators to help determine the details surrounding this incident. At this time, our thoughts are with this individual’s family and friends.”

———

©2020 The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)

Visit The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.) at www.newsobserver.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Continue Reading