health

Trump health official blasts Nevada after state ends use of rapid coronavirus tests in nursing homes

A top official from the Department of Health and Human Services on Friday urged Nevada to reverse its decision to suspend the use of two rapid coronavirus tests in nursing homes, saying there is no “scientific reason” to justify its action.



Brett Giroir wearing a suit and tie: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ADM Brett P. Giroir testifies before the House Committee on Energy and Commerce on the Trump Administration's Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, June 23, 2020.


© Provided by CNBC
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ADM Brett P. Giroir testifies before the House Committee on Energy and Commerce on the Trump Administration’s Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, June 23, 2020.

Nevada health officials have ordered nursing facilities in the state to immediately suspend the use of two tests, manufactured by companies Quidel and Becton, Dickinson and Co., after the officials said the tests repeatedly delivered false positives.

Nevada officials said 23 out of 39 positive antigen test results from both Quidel and BD were later found by PCR to be negative, according to a directive issued last week. That is an error rate of about 60%, according to the document.

Adm. Brett Giroir, assistant secretary at HHS, said Friday that false positives are a “reality” of the testing ecosystem and are to be expected. Calling the Nevada action “unjustified,” Giroir said the federal agency has sent a letter to the state threatening to take “swift action and appropriate steps” if the decision is not reversed.

This is an “unwise, uninformed and unlawful” decision, Giroir said on a call with reporters. “Nevada’s letter unilaterally prohibiting these tests is in violation of HHS’s PREP Act guidance. Under federal law, Nevada may not prohibit or effectively prohibit such testing.”

He said Nevada’s action “reflects a basic lack of knowledge” about testing and interpreting results.

Video: White House is ‘irresponsible’ to block new FDA vaccine guidelines, doctor says (TODAY)

White House is ‘irresponsible’ to block new FDA vaccine guidelines, doctor

Continue Reading

Chevron’s health and safety specialist admits taking $6,000 bribes to be lenient to sub-contractor, Courts & Crime News & Top Stories

SINGAPORE – A health, environment and safety specialist with Chevron Singapore accepted $6,000 in bribes from a sub-contractor in return for being lenient in supervising his work on the company’s lube oil blending plant.

Cheow Hock Mun, 49, a permanent resident, pleaded guilty on Friday (Oct 9) to two charges of corruption. Another corruption charge will be taken into consideration during sentencing next month.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Eric Hu said Cheow had accepted the money from Lim Gim Chuan, the managing director of LGC Engineering and Contractors, between April and July 2015.

Cheow was in charge of all safety and security matters at the Chevron’s plant in Jalan Buroh, and oversaw the issuing of permits and training of workers at the plant.

There were occasions when he did not approve permits to workers and made several safety checks on site, “many of which were not mandated or required”, said DPP Hu, adding that Cheow had also refused to conduct training for some workers.

The court heard that Cheow had also stopped work for two to three hours and directed materials to be moved to a warehouse, even though these could be barricaded and placed near an excavation site.

“Lim was aware that Cheow was the overall in charge of safety at the lube oil Blending Plant, and that he had the authority to make things difficult by not approving the permits for his workers or by finding faults with them in safety aspects,” said DPP Hu, adding that this would eventually cause delays and financial losses for Lim’s company.

Sometime in April 2015, Lim asked to meet Cheow at the canteen of the oil plant where he offered Cheow $2,000 and asked him to “give a helping hand” in Hokkien, said DPP Hu.

Cheow understood that Lim had meant

Continue Reading

Spotless worker says coronavirus hotel quarantine contractors also took shifts at Alfred Health hospitals

A Spotless worker has described how contractors in COVID-19 ‘hot hotels’ were also working shifts at Melbourne’s Alfred Health hospitals, and cast doubt on the Government’s assertion the contractors were not working as security guards.

The employee, who spoke to the ABC on the condition of anonymity, said security staff were working at Alfred hospitals within days of shifts at the Novotel Hotel at South Wharf, which is housing people with coronavirus who cannot safely self-isolate.

He also said former bouncers with little experience were given jobs leading “security” teams in the quarantine facilities.

Spotless has been sub-contracted by Alfred Health to undertake “non-clinical” work at the hot hotels as an extension of its arrangement at the hospitals.

Both Spotless and Alfred Health insist the staff performing “floor monitoring roles” were not acting as security. The Government has said police officers, and not private security contractors, have been managing security at the hotels under the revamped program.

But the Spotless employee said: “Security was definitely working there — Spotless even recruited former pub and club bouncers who were out of work and didn’t have the required skill set to work in a hospital.

“One [staff member] at quarantine … didn’t know his way around a hospital let alone how it operates, in regard to infection control”.

Email, roster indicate workers moved between sites in August

Spotless has told the ABC it introduced a rule in late July requiring its staff to declare that they had not been working at any other facility within 14 days.

But in August, an email sent by a Spotless security supervisor — seen by the ABC — described two workers as coming back from the hotel program into “regular rostering”.

The Spotless employee told the ABC the two team members had been working in the

Continue Reading

Uganda: Health Centre Gets Shs251m for Renovation

The expansion of Bushenyi Health Centre IV has started, with residents optimistic that this will lead to improvement in service delivery.

Mr David Tweheyo Betega, the Town Clerk of Bushenyi-Ishaka Municipal Council, said Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation gave Shs251 million for the works.

“The funds are being used for remodelling and expansion of existing buildings to create more space, especially outpatient ward, laboratory and clinic. The space has been very small,” Mr Betega said last Friday.

He said the work is being done by Konjex Investment Ltd and is expected to be complete in two months.

Mr Betega added that they need Shs59 million to equip the theatre.

Bushenyi Health Centre IV is the only government health facility in the municipality and it also serves people outside the town.

“After completion of the renovation works, we will also embark on equipping the theatre. We need Shs59 million but we have part of theamoney. Once all these are in place, health personnel will be able to execute their work very well,” Mr Betega said.

The health centre in-charge, Dr Viola Ninsiima, said the place is too small to accommodate the large number of patients.

Dr Ninsiima said the outpatient department received 1,450 people in September only.

Ms Evelyn Atuheire, a resident of Buramba Cell in Bushenyi-Ishaka municipality, said there is always congestion at the facility.

Source Article

Continue Reading

Health centre gets Shs251m for renovation

By Milton Bandiho

The expansion of Bushenyi Health Centre IV has started, with residents optimistic that this will lead to improvement in service delivery.

Mr David Tweheyo Betega, the Town Clerk of Bushenyi-Ishaka Municipal Council, said Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation gave Shs251 million for the works.

“The funds are being used for remodelling and expansion of existing buildings to create more space, especially outpatient ward, laboratory and clinic. The space has been very small,” Mr Betega said last Friday.

He said the work is being done by Konjex Investment Ltd and is expected to be complete in two months. 

Mr Betega added that they need Shs59 million to equip the theatre.
Bushenyi Health Centre IV is the only government health facility in the municipality and it also serves people outside the town. 

“After completion of the renovation works, we will also embark on equipping the theatre. We need Shs59 million but we have part of theamoney. Once all these are in place, health personnel will be able to execute their work very well,” Mr Betega said.

Advertisement

The health centre in-charge, Dr Viola Ninsiima, said the place is too small to accommodate the large number of patients.  

Dr Ninsiima said the outpatient department received 1,450 people in September only.

Ms Evelyn Atuheire, a resident of Buramba Cell in Bushenyi-Ishaka municipality, said there is always congestion at the facility. 

[email protected]

Source Article

Continue Reading