million

$3.75 Million CAGC Foundation Grant to Aid Contractors In North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Oct. 14, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Carolinas AGC is excited to announce the opening of the CAGC Foundation Grant to help contractors with coronavirus mitigation efforts in the construction workplace. The grant was one of many allocations to state and local government agencies and nonprofits named in HB 1105 that appropriated the remaining CARES funding for pandemic relief. CAGC’s lobbying team garnered the major legislative victory during a recent legislative session and developed grant guidance and an application for qualified businesses and organizations that have a business office in North Carolina. The grant application period is open through Wednesday, October 28th at 5:00pm, and grants will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis to eligible subgrantees. Funding must be spent by December 30, 2020.

The legislation stipulates that $3 million of the grant funds are to be awarded to construction businesses and non-profits that reside in North Carolina for staffing and equipment needed to screen and protect individuals in the workplace, the purchase of personal protective equipment for individual worker use while on a jobsite, rapid response testing kits, implementing computer or smartphone applications that enable workers to answer daily screening questions before reporting to the jobsite, purchase of jobsite sanitization equipment for use in disinfecting jobsites, mental health support, and other pandemic-related safety gear for construction workers. The remaining $750,000 will be awarded to media organizations or other entities that can provide multi-lingual education, training, and community outreach programs using various media to reach construction workers, including those who lack proficiency in the English language.

For more information, grant guidelines, eligibility and to complete the application, visit www.cagc.org/PPEGrant.

Carolinas AGC is the construction industry association in the Carolinas, bringing value to our thousands of members through networking, government relations, job leads, meetings with

Continue Reading

Lowe’s donates over $9 million to help keep homes safe and affordable in Charlotte

Lowe’s Home Improvement store is donating $9.25 million in funding, products and gift cards to organizations in Charlotte to keep “homes safe, healthy and affordable” amid the coronavirus crisis.

Lowe’s announced Tuesday it is making the donations in a combination of funding, products and gift cards to nearly 30 local charitable groups and businesses for affordable housing, skilled trades training and technology, the company announced Tuesday.

The Mooresville-based company is extending how it thinks about the word home, company executive vice president of human resources Janice Little said.

Little told the Observer the donations are another step in the company’s efforts to help with community projects. Lowe’s also has an employee volunteer program that has been focused on affordable housing and skilled trades over the last year.

“We really need to make sure that we can support all members of our community,” she said.

Some of the Charlotte hometown projects supported through the donation, according to Lowe’s, include:

? $1.67 million to Habitat for Humanity of the Charlotte Region to support home repair, new home construction and two new apprentices for its apprenticeship program. Even with the COVID-19 pandemic, Habitat Charlotte Region has moved 26 families into newly completed homes.

• $1.33 million grant to the city of Charlotte for its Safe Housing Home Rehabilitation Program in the Beatties Ford Road Corridor to help with home repairs. It also helps older residents age in place and low- and moderate-income families be able to stay in their homes.

• $1 million to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Foundation to create the Lowe’s Technology Lab at the new main branch offering technology help and classes.

? $50,000 donation to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Foundation’s Connect for Tech program to help close the connectivity gap for local students during the pandemic.

• $200,000 in gift

Continue Reading

Laguna Beach Pumps Nearly Half a Million Dollars Into Homeless Shelter RenovationVoice of OC

Laguna Beach will spend $479,837 in grant money to make improvements to the city’s homeless shelter with work expected to start in November.


Editors’ Note: This dispatch is part of the Voice of OC Youth Media program, working with student journalists to cover public policy issues across Orange County. If you would like to submit your own student media project related to Orange County civics or if you have any response to this work, contact Digital Editor Sonya Quick at [email protected].


The Alternative Sleeping Location, a city-run emergency shelter, at 20652 Laguna Canyon Road, has been operating year-round since 2009 to provide meals, showers, laundry, and help guests find housing and health care. The facility has worked with over 10,000 people since its opening to help prevent homelessness and serves an average of 160 people every night, according to the shelter’s website

The Laguna Beach City Council unanimously approved funding for the project from the state-run Homeless Emergency Aid program in September. The program “was established to provide direct assistance to California’s homeless Continuums of Care and large cities to address the homelessness crisis throughout the state,” according to the state website

The project will replace flooring, renovate bathrooms, and add a new accessible handicap ramp, among other upgrades during the estimated eight-week renovations. A temporary facility will be available in the adjacent storage area to continue shelter services during the construction, according to a city staff report

“The first step of the renovation is the allocation of resources,” Jeremy Frimond, Laguna Beach senior administrative analyst, said regarding the temporary relocation. “We want to minimize the relocation to try to make it as easy as possible for the people who rely on the shelter.” 

The

Continue Reading

Sweetheart Kitchen Raises US$17.7 Million In Series C Funding Round To Launch New Brands And Kitchen Units Across MENA


4 min read

Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.


You’re reading Entrepreneur Middle East, an international franchise of Entrepreneur Media.

Cloud kitchen operator Sweetheart Kitchen has successfully secured €15 million (US$17.7 million) in a Series C funding round backed by strategic investors, led by the company’s founder and CEO Peter Schatzberg.

As a delivery-only multi-brand virtual kitchen, Schatzberg notes that the Dubai-based company is keen to invest their funding into supply chain technology, food design and hiring talent, as they had previously done, and which they plan to continue to do so. “Scaling units is certainly one important objective for us, but we are also investing in streamlining our processes and systems to achieve profitability.”

As a company that is only 15 months old, it’s noteworthy to point out its impressive milestones. The startup (which, according to a Wamda report, is backed by Germany’s Delivery Hero) has previously raised €21 million ($24.8 million) in a previous round. Thus, as of date, the startup has raised a total of $43 million. The brand boasts a portfolio of 30 brands, such as Wingo, Avocado Bravo and Affordabowls, among others.

That’s not to say that cloud kitchen startup hasn’t had their fair share of hurdles during the pandemic. Schatzberg comments, “Almost overnight, we pivoted from scaling volume and units, to demonstrating profitability through aggressive cost-cutting measures that would ordinarily take place in a mature enterprise.” They had to close live units in Kuwait, as well as make reductions, and lose cash flow as they were waiting to open a number of completed units, but was vacant due to citywide lockdowns. He adds, “Any incremental revenue we might have received as a function of the pandemic was more than offset by the various costs and challenges that the pandemic

Continue Reading

$2.5 million renovation of PRCC’s Seal Hall to begin in December

HATTIESBURG, Miss. (WDAM) – One of the main academic buildings on the Poplarville campus of Pearl River Community College is about to get a major makeover.



a large brick building with grass in front of a house: A renovation of PRCC's Seal Hall will begin in December.


© Provided by Hattiesburg-Laurel WDAM-TV
A renovation of PRCC’s Seal Hall will begin in December.

Seal Hall, which was built in 1967, will be renovated, beginning in December.

It’s a $2.5 million project.

“(It) will include brand new classroom space, upgraded office space for our faculty, new lobbies, new entrance, it’s right in the heart of our campus and I think it’s going to be a great addition,” said Adam Breerwood, president of Pearl River Community College.

Meanwhile, PRCC just opened a new science building annex about six weeks ago.

It was part of a construction project that also involved the renovation of the college’s existing science building, which was built in 1966.

The total cost of that project was about $5 million.

“We really feel like this will provide the necessary tools for our faculty, staff and our students,” Breerwood said. “STEM education is big these days and we want to be able to provide the very best of that education.”

And, PRCC is wrapping up work on two new residence halls, located next to Dobie Holden Stadium.

Work began in the summer of 2019 is scheduled for completion in January.

The dorms will house 260 students.

“That’s 260 additional students on our campus, which will breathe a sense of fresh air, new life to our campus,” Breerwood said.

Breerwood also said that PRCC has had nine consecutive semesters of enrollment growth.

Copyright 2020 WDAM. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Continue Reading