Money

Dermot Bannon opens up about money woes following home renovation



a man wearing a suit and tie smiling at the camera


© Provided by Extra.ie


Dermot Bannon has opened up about ‘running out of money’ following extensive renovations to his family home last year.

Our favourite architect welcomed the Room to Improve cameras into his home to showcase his own stunning house transformation.

Due to the current global circumstances, Room to Improve sadly will not return to our screens this year.



a man wearing a suit and tie smiling at the camera: Dermot Bannon has opened up about running out of money after his home renovations. Pic: Sasko Lazarov/ Photocall Ireland


© Provided by Extra.ie
Dermot Bannon has opened up about running out of money after his home renovations. Pic: Sasko Lazarov/ Photocall Ireland

However, Dermot Bannon fans will still be able to get their fix as the architect returns with a new series of Incredible Homes this weekend.

Dermot has now revealed that he is dying to get back to work as he has run out of money following his home renovations.

He told the RTE Guide that seeing his unfinished garden gave him the push he needed to get back in action.



a man smiling for the camera: Dermot revealed that his unfinished garden and lack of funds gave him the push to go back to work. Pic: RTE


© Provided by Extra.ie
Dermot revealed that his unfinished garden and lack of funds gave him the push to go back to work. Pic: RTE

He explained: ‘I think I was getting a little bit worn out from it all and lockdown just gave me the kick up the backside so I’m looking forward to it this year.

‘I had time to sit and enjoy [the house] and it was great during the summer, the garden was amazing.

‘We had no money left, so we didn’t get any of the other planned features in the garden done. That’s why I need to go back to work.’



a person posing for the camera: Dermot admitted he loved being in his new home during the nationwide lockdown. Pic: RTE


© Provided by Extra.ie
Dermot admitted he loved being in his new home during the nationwide lockdown. Pic: RTE

Dermot Bannon also revealed that the lockdown was a blessing as he got to spend time in this new home with his

Continue Reading

Coppell man charged with scamming $17 million in PPP money to buy luxury cars and homes

Federal investigators say a Coppell man fraudulently applied for dozens of federal stimulus PPP grants and received more than $17 million that he spent buying real estate and luxury cars such as a Bentley and a Corvette.



Government prosecutors have now charged dozens of people with fraudulently receiving grants from the Payroll Protection Program.


© Brian Elledge/Staff Photographer/The Dallas Morning News/TNS
Government prosecutors have now charged dozens of people with fraudulently receiving grants from the Payroll Protection Program.

A coalition of federal agencies charged Dinesh Sah, 55, of Coppell, with applying for $24.8 million in PPP loans for 15 businesses that claimed to have more than 500 employees, but in fact, many of the businesses were registered after the CARES Act was passed and did not have any employees, according to court documents detailing the indictment.

“Mr. Sah exploited this terrible pandemic for personal gain – and he should be held accountable to the American people for that behavior,” said U.S. Attorney Erin Nealy Cox in a statement. “COVID-19 has devastated the finances of hardworking business owners across the nation. PPP funds should be reserved for those who really need them to keep their companies afloat.”

Sah was arrested Sept. 16 and remains in custody, said a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office for the Northern District of Texas.

Sah is one of dozens indicted by government prosecutors for fraudulently applying for forgivable loans through the Payroll Protection Program, the $650 billion slice of the CARES Act designed to help small businesses cover costs for wages, rent and utilities. Among those charged with fraud were a former NFL football player and a former reality television star.

More than 5.2 million loans were approved nationwide. According to the U.S. Treasury Department, Texas businesses were approved for more than $41 billion in grants that were intended to go to businesses with 500 employees or fewer.

The indictment said

Continue Reading

Mortgage rate forecast Q4: Will the low rates continue? | Money

However, Ken H. Johnson, a housing economist at Florida Atlantic University, is less optimistic about a quick economic recovery. “Rates will remain low for at least another year,” he says. “I just do not see full or near-full economic recovery until COVID-19 no longer or minimally impacts the economy.”

— Economic recovery could boost rates

Greg McBride, CFA, Bankrate’s chief financial analyst, sees rates holding steady in the coming year. “Mortgage rates will remain at historically low levels and in no way be an impediment to well-qualified borrowers, but they won’t be quite as low as what was seen in the summer of 2020,” he says. “A refinance fee taking effect in Q4 2020 and further economic improvement will push rates a bit higher.”

Audrey Boissonou of Guarantee Mortgage in Walnut Creek, California, says the direction of the economy will prove crucial. “I’m locking people in in the high 2s right now,” she says. “I am seeing nothing that makes me think rates will go up. Of course, it all depends on what happens in the next few months. It can all change on a dime.”

Predicting rates is always a challenge, as Boissonou notes. But if the Fed’s attitude is any indication, then rates could remain low over the next year.

The Fed has set a pattern of keeping long rates low in challenging times, says William Emmons, the lead economist at the Center for Household Financial Stability at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. “The demonstrated willingness of the Fed is to do the old cliche of ‘whatever it takes,'” says Emmons, who adds that he doesn’t state the Fed’s official position. “That’s pretty widespread, the belief that the Fed will do whatever it takes.”

Source Article

Continue Reading

NYCHA seniors fear for their safety; councilman says he allocated money for improvements years ago

JAMAICA, Queens — A Queens councilman said he allocated hundreds of thousands of dollars to NYCHA to enhance security at a public housing building for seniors, following to years of complaints to his office about unauthorized visitors and seniors living in fear.

But those security improvements are pending.

City Councilmember Daneek Miller was told by the city last week that the new security improvements won’t be done until 2021.

Just outside NYCHA’s Conlon-Lihfe Towers in Jamaica, Queens, seniors said they are afraid to live there.

Connie Green, 79, who lives in the building, said since the pandemic, security concerns have gotten worse.

Miller said he’s been listening to the seniors complain about security for years. Back in 2017, he thought he did something about it. He allocated over $320,000 to replace front doors with new doors that would require a key card entry, and funds to pay for several new security cameras.

“It’s about a hundred thousand dollars for security cameras, then the doors. The total is $320,000. More importantly, it’s four years later and nothing has been done,” said Miller.

The councilman said he is frustrated and wants to know what the hold up is.

He said he wrote a letter to the NYCHA CEO on Aug. 3, 2020. He got a response from NYCHA on Sept. 9 in the form of a letter from Brian Honan, the VP of the Office of Intergovernmental Relations at NYCHA.

A NYCHA spokesperson told PIX11, “NYCHA is committed to providing safe building access for our senior residents and we are working to address the security issues at Conlon-Lihfe. We share the councilmember’s dedication to this project and look forward to engaging with him and other stakeholders as we move forward.”

Miller said until the city replaces the doors and installs new security

Continue Reading

Just Approved: Cheap money to access from home equity

Published


Mortgage adviser: Liz Bayer, ProMortgage.

Property type: Single-family home in Berkeley.

Appraised value: $1.215 million.

Loan amount: $449,000.

Loan type: 30-year fixed.

Rate: 2.625%.

APR: 2.841%.

Backstory: I have a number of clients taking advantage of historically low rates and historically high home equity to get a cash out refinance. Past clients of mine had decided that they plan to live out their days in their home but wanted to tap into their equity to make home improvements to provide features that will benefit them as they age.


What was great is that even though they had a good rate from a previous transaction, it made all the sense in the world for them to refinance rather their mortgage taking out more than $100,000 with a new rate — which was lower than the one they had, even though this was a cashout refinance.



Although they did have a lot of equity in their home, conventional lending did not allow for an appraisal waiver as guidelines do not allow for a waiver if the transaction is cash out. In spite of this, we were able to get their loan done in 23 days. This is a perfect time to tap into home equity for long term needs.


Liz Bayer, ProMortgage, 415-383-3111, [email protected]


Source Article

Continue Reading