North

$3.75 Million CAGC Foundation Grant to Aid Contractors In North Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Oct. 14, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Carolinas AGC is excited to announce the opening of the CAGC Foundation Grant to help contractors with coronavirus mitigation efforts in the construction workplace. The grant was one of many allocations to state and local government agencies and nonprofits named in HB 1105 that appropriated the remaining CARES funding for pandemic relief. CAGC’s lobbying team garnered the major legislative victory during a recent legislative session and developed grant guidance and an application for qualified businesses and organizations that have a business office in North Carolina. The grant application period is open through Wednesday, October 28th at 5:00pm, and grants will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis to eligible subgrantees. Funding must be spent by December 30, 2020.

The legislation stipulates that $3 million of the grant funds are to be awarded to construction businesses and non-profits that reside in North Carolina for staffing and equipment needed to screen and protect individuals in the workplace, the purchase of personal protective equipment for individual worker use while on a jobsite, rapid response testing kits, implementing computer or smartphone applications that enable workers to answer daily screening questions before reporting to the jobsite, purchase of jobsite sanitization equipment for use in disinfecting jobsites, mental health support, and other pandemic-related safety gear for construction workers. The remaining $750,000 will be awarded to media organizations or other entities that can provide multi-lingual education, training, and community outreach programs using various media to reach construction workers, including those who lack proficiency in the English language.

For more information, grant guidelines, eligibility and to complete the application, visit www.cagc.org/PPEGrant.

Carolinas AGC is the construction industry association in the Carolinas, bringing value to our thousands of members through networking, government relations, job leads, meetings with

Continue Reading

North Korea’s Kim pledges thousands of new homes in storm recovery effort

By Sangmi Cha

SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised to help typhoon-hit areas recover and to build at least 25,000 houses over the next five years, state media said on Wednesday.

Visiting one of the worst-hit areas of North Korea, Kim expressed regret over the more than 50-year-old houses in which people have been living and urged the military to embark on a more ambitious construction plan, KCNA said.

The visit came after Kim appeared to shed tears at the weekend as he thanked citizens for their sacrifices, in the most striking demonstration yet of how he is relying on his “man-of- the-people” persona to tackle his country’s deepening crises.

The military has reached a construction level of 60% for at least 2,300 houses in the Komdok area in South Hamgyong province, northeast of the capital, Pyongyang, the state media said.

Kim said new houses were now only built when the old ones were brought down by natural disasters, and called for a “revolution” in construction plans, starting with building 25,000 houses during his five-year plan set to be unveiled in January.

Last week, Kim called on his country to embark on an 80-day “speed battle” – to attain economic goals before a congress in January to decide the new five-year plan.

North Korea has had a tough year because of the impact of anti-coronavirus measures, international sanctions and several typhoons that battered towns.

(Reporting by Sangmi Cha; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Source Article

Continue Reading

North Korea’s Kim pledges thousands of new homes in storm recovery effort: state media

By Sangmi Cha

SEOUL (Reuters) – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised to help typhoon-hit areas recover and to build at least 25,000 houses over the next five years, state media said on Wednesday.

Visiting one of the worst-hit areas of North Korea, Kim expressed regret over the more than 50-year-old houses in which people have been living and urged the military to embark on a more ambitious construction plan, KCNA said.

The visit came after Kim appeared to shed tears at the weekend as he thanked citizens for their sacrifices, in the most striking demonstration yet of how he is relying on his “man-of- the-people” persona to tackle his country’s deepening crises.

The military has reached a construction level of 60% for at least 2,300 houses in the Komdok area in South Hamgyong province, northeast of the capital, Pyongyang, the state media said.

Kim said new houses were now only built when the old ones were brought down by natural disasters, and called for a “revolution” in construction plans, starting with building 25,000 houses during his five-year plan set to be unveiled in January.

Last week, Kim called on his country to embark on an 80-day “speed battle” – to attain economic goals before a congress in January to decide the new five-year plan.

North Korea has had a tough year because of the impact of anti-coronavirus measures, international sanctions and several typhoons that battered towns.

(Reporting by Sangmi Cha; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Source Article

Continue Reading

North Carolina Governor Drops ‘Bathroom Bill’ Lawsuit Against U.S. : The Two-Way : NPR

Supporters gather at the North Carolina Capitol in April in support of a law that regulates which bathrooms people can use and blocks local governments in the state from extending anti-discrimination protections to LGBT people.

Gerry Broome/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Gerry Broome/AP

Supporters gather at the North Carolina Capitol in April in support of a law that regulates which bathrooms people can use and blocks local governments in the state from extending anti-discrimination protections to LGBT people.

Gerry Broome/AP

North Carolina’s governor has dropped a lawsuit asking a federal court to preserve the state’s HB2 law limiting civil rights protections for LGBT people and regulating who uses which public bathrooms.

In court documents Friday, Gov. Pat McCrory cited “substantial costs to the State” as one reason for dropping his lawsuit against the federal government, writing that it did not serve the “interests of judicial economy and efficiency.”

Businesses, performing artists and event organizers have boycotted the state since House Bill 2 was passed. In July, the NBA announced it was pulling its February All-Star Game out of Charlotte, saying in a statement, “We do not believe we can successfully host our All-Star festivities in Charlotte in the climate created by the current law.”

This month, the NCAA and the Atlantic Coast Conference both moved championship sporting events out of the state.

McCrory sued the federal government in May, after U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said HB2 violated both the Civil Rights Act and Title IX and threatened to withhold federal funding to the state. The Department of Justice countersued, seeking to ban enforcement on the grounds that the law is, as Lynch said at the time, “impermissibly discriminatory.”

“This action is about a great deal more than just bathrooms. This is about the dignity and respect we accord our

Continue Reading

Del Webb at North Ranch offers single-story homes

Del Webb, the nation’s leader of age-qualified communities for those 55 and older, is showcasing its newest North Las Vegas community, Del Webb at North Ranch. The most affordable age-qualified community in Las Vegas with homes starting from the low $300,000s, Del Webb at North Ranch features spacious single-story homes, resort-style amenities and the signature active-adult lifestyle for which Del Webb communities are known.

Located on the northwest corner of Centennial Parkway and Losee Road in North Las Vegas, Del Webb at North Ranch offers modern flexible open-concept floor plans ranging from 1,285 square feet to 2,010-plus square feet with two to three bedrooms and two to 2½ baths.

Marked by luxurious finishes and touches at every turn, Del Webb homes feature designer flooring, countertops and cabinets. All floor plans come standard with two-car garages, covered patios that further enhance indoor/outdoor living, the latest in smart home technology and energy efficiency. Some homes offer optional golf cart garages.

According to Danny Welsh, vice president of sales, Las Vegas Division, PulteGroup, Del Webb at North Ranch is the second new Del Webb community to open in Southern Nevada since the beginning of 2020. The first was Del Webb at Lake Las Vegas.

“The Del Webb lifestyle has a rich history in Las Vegas,” Welsh said. “We’re thrilled our newest residents at Del Webb at North Ranch will enjoy the incomparable lifestyle they have come to expect of a Del Webb community, including neighborly companionship with like-minded residents who appreciate a full and busy life of fun and activity — and all at an affordable price.”

Del Webb at North Ranch homes embody a contemporary architectural style executed in nine distinct collections: Canyon, Overlook, Getaway, Peak, Solitude, Sanctuary, Expedition, Haven and Preserve.

Del Webb at North Ranch’s striking standard and optional amenities

Continue Reading